About Fort Wilkins Historic State Park
Fort Wilkins Historic State Park, located in the northern Keweenaw Peninsula, features camping, day-use facilities, a restored 1844 army military outpost and one of the first lighthouses on Lake Superior built in 1866. Fort Wilkins became a state park in 1923. Extensive restoration work and development began in the 1930s under the Work Project Administration.
For a history of Fort Wilkins, watch the introductory video!
- Enhancing landscaping around Fort Wilkins
- Brush removal
- Trail clean-up
- Roof installation
- Re-painting and staining of historical buildings
- Construction and installation of an ADA compliant ramp for accessibility
- Fence construction