30 Days. 10 Sites. 1 Mission.
Join us September 9 – October 11 at one of ten tourism destinations throughout Michigan as we work to restore and repair.
- Bond Falls Scenic Site – Paulding. Remove/reinstall boardwalk for accessibility, paint buildings, build a trail, and repair benches. One day project. Project Difficulty: Moderate.
- Lime Island Recreation Area. Experience two days on Lime Island engaging in challenging work with trails, land development, drywall, and invasive species removal. Volunteers will stay overnight in rustic island cabins. Two day project. Project difficulty: Easy, Difficult.
- Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary – Alpena. Volunteers will dive into protecting maritime history with trail development and painting projects. One day project. Project difficulty: Easy, Moderate, Difficult.
- The Botanic Garden – Traverse City. Spend a day learning, and touring, how forests and history can support tourism, followed by a day of winterizing gardens, fall planting and more. Two day project. Project difficulty: Easy.
- Clare Welcome Center – Clare. Volunteers will repaint the 60’ lighthouse that greets visitors as they come in for travel information, maps, and brochures. One day project. Project difficulty: Easy, Moderate.
- Muskegon Luge Sports Park – Muskegon. Engage in various projects from trail signage installation, archery range refurbishment to painting and construction of a shed and picnic tables. One day project. Project difficulty: Easy, Moderate, Difficult.
- Binder Park Zoo – Battle Creek. Volunteers will engage in a demolition day at the zoo with painting and garden rebuilding too. One day project. Project difficulty: Easy, Moderate, Difficult.
- Cambridge Junction Historic State Park – Irish Hills. Learn how to restore a historic barn then put your knowledge to work! Volunteers will spend a half day learning and a half day doing. One day project. Project difficulty: Easy, Moderate, Difficult.
- New Buffalo Welcome Center – New Buffalo. Volunteers will repaint the 60’ lighthouse welcoming visitors to Michigan. One day project. Project difficulty: Easy, Moderate.
- Island Lake Recreation Area – Brighton.
Revitalize rustic bunkhouses with new paint, accessible walkway, native garden and interpretive signage installation. One day project. Project difficulty: Moderate, Difficult.
Being A Tourist
The FAM Tours! We provide volunteers a number of activities to participate in the day before our project work begins. Our volunteers have the opportunity to experience the local arts, culture, outdoor adventures, culinary options and enjoy sightseeing the local area.
Being A Tourism Influencer
Based on the work required at the project site and the preferences of the volunteers during registration, we break into groups and work hard for 6-8 hours. Work could include painting, landscaping, brush clearing, trail maintenance, building bird feeders or benches or constructing fences or signage posts.